Can someone please identify cavities in this? X-ray attached.

Hi all,
I moved to the United States recently. I used to go to dentist once in 2 years when I was in my home country.
After I come to US, I see the practice of going to dentist every 6 months. So,i got an appointment to go to a dentist nearby my location. I got to know about this dentist through Internet search and read the reviews.
I went for a general cleaning visit and the dentist did an x-ray and told me that i have 4 cavities on my left side of the mouth. I never had cavities before and my tooth was perfectly fine when I went to my dentist 2 years back.
The dentist told me that I have to fill it asap.
I don't know how to read the dental x-rays. Could someone please help me to confirm the cavities. I don't want to do the fillings as i am so scared and nervous about that. Please let me know if I really have cavities and how soon should i fill it up?

Thank you for the reply @honestdoc.
The upload was not succesful and i attached it again now.
Could you please check the attached images.
Image000-460x331.JPG
Image001-460x331.JPG
Image002-460x331.JPG
Image003-460x331.JPG
Image004-460x331.JPG
Image005-460x331.JPG
Image006-460x331.JPG
Image007-460x331.JPG
Image008-460x331.JPG
Image009-460x331.JPG

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Your cavities are very small. The largest one will be tooth #16 UL wisdom tooth and is unopposed and hyper-erupting. It is more predictable to extract both upper wisdom teeth. I see incipient small cavities between #4 Mesial & Distal, #5 Distal, #13 Distal, 14 Mesial, 15 Mesial. These cavities have not penetrated through the enamel layer and can be remineralized (healed). Use Over the Counter Fluoride rinses and floss between your teeth every night. I don't see any need for fillings at this time. You may see a different dentist if you don't feel comfortable with your present one.

Vote:
Your cavities are very small. The largest one will be tooth #16 UL wisdom tooth and is unopposed and hyper-erupting. It is more predictable to extract both upper wisdom teeth. I see incipient small cavities between #4 Mesial & Distal, #5 Distal, #13 Distal, 14 Mesial, 15 Mesial. These cavities have not penetrated through the enamel layer and can be remineralized (healed). Use Over the Counter Fluoride rinses and floss between your teeth every night. I don't see any need for fillings at this time. You may see a different dentist if you don't feel comfortable with your present one.
Thank you so much for your reply @honestdoc . He also mentioned number 19. He said number 19 has lot of cavity and told me to get it done and don't wait till it gets to root canal.
He mentioned the numbers as 5,13,14,15,16,19. Does 19 have cavity?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
#19 has no cavities on the sides, maybe small ones on front (cheek) or back (tongue) sides. This dentist must be hungry. Find another dentist. You don't need any fillings. Use Fluoride rinse to help remineralized all of the small cavities still outside the enamel layer. I have 3 cavities so much bigger and have been watching them for 30 years. You do need 2 upper wisdom teeth extracted. They should be minimal trauma.

Vote:
#19 has no cavities on the sides, maybe small ones on front (cheek) or back (tongue) sides. This dentist must be hungry. Find another dentist. You don't need any fillings. Use Fluoride rinse to help remineralized all of the small cavities still outside the enamel layer. I have 3 cavities so much bigger and have been watching them for 30 years. You do need 2 upper wisdom teeth extracted. They should be minimal trauma.
Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate it.
How soon should I extract the upper wisdom teeth?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Orthodontist only does braces and straightening teeth. Oral surgeon removes wisdom teeth but many insurance companies may require referrals from general dentists to be covered. The wisdom teeth you have should be easy to remove. It is hyper-erupted (lower than other teeth) which will have less bone attachment and unopposed (no lower teeth to apply resistance) so the bone would be less dense. Only request the 2 wisdom teeth to be removed or find another dentist.

Vote:
Orthodontist only does braces and straightening teeth. Oral surgeon removes wisdom teeth but many insurance companies may require referrals from general dentists to be covered. The wisdom teeth you have should be easy to remove. It is hyper-erupted (lower than other teeth) which will have less bone attachment and unopposed (no lower teeth to apply resistance) so the bone would be less dense. Only request the 2 wisdom teeth to be removed or find another dentist.
Thank you so much.

Vote:

Ask a Question