Can someone tell me what this is please?

I've been having pain very much similar to a tooth abscess pain in my lower right end molar (root canaled,crowned), except there is no swelling in my face, or any white spots on my gums. I went to two separate dentists and they both insist that my root canal look perfect. The pain goes away after a few days of antibiotic then comes back stronger after I go off medication.
One of the dentists told me to go get a dental panoramic x-ray to see what's wrong and he found a cloudy mass in my jaw in place of my extracted wisdom tooth, and he says there's some residual bone from the extraction that had cause some infection and he'll have to give me a minor surgery to clean up the bone and infected tissues. The thing is I have had that tooth extracted over 2 years ago and it hadn't bothered me since, and I still have the tooth here so when I came home I took a look at it and it seems complete to me, right down to the very tip of the root, so I don't know which part of it is still supposedly lodged inside my jaw. Also the pain I've been experiencing radiates from right beneath my molar, not from behind it where the extracted wisdom tooth used to be, and the pain used to be only when biting down before it became permanent. Finally I have looked at this cloudy area for a long time and it just does not seem like a bone fragment to me, So i'm including a picture of my x-ray with the crowned root canaled molar from where I think the pain radiates, and the area behind it where the cloudy lump appears to be. Can someone please help me identify that lump and whether there truly is a problem with the root canal or not? Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 21942435_520126804998662_1528661800_n.jpg
    21942435_520126804998662_1528661800_n.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 299
"ere's some residual bone from the extraction that had cause some infection and he'll have to give me a minor.."

Difficult to say over the internet, but after several years it's unlikely to be the bone that's causing the problem.
How long do you take the antibiotics for? (your post suggest 2 days)

Vote:
I had a few dentist friends and relatives look at it and it turned out to be some calcification from an old inflammation in the socket. The pain in from a crack at the root of the molar opposite to it, which is causing an infection right beneath the crown. Thank you for your help :)

Vote:

Ask a Question