Infection still present after root canal and antibiotics?

Hi all. I had a root canal on Tuesday for an abscessed/infected tooth, my bottom left molar. My dentist said everything looked really good after the root canal and prescribed clindamycin. My final dose will be this coming Tuesday morning. Is it normal that I’m still tasting that awful, bitter taste from the infection? Because I am. I’m not feeling any pain or sensitivity in my tooth, it’s just that awful taste. Of course I’m going to call my dentist first thing in the morning and ask to be seen ASAP, but I’m starting to get worried that I have a failed root canal and am anxious for what will happen next.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Were you getting a bad taste before the RCT? Did you have a gumboil (abscess) draining into your mouth?
Normally it is not necessary to prescribe antibiotics after an RCT; one of the rare side effects of clindamycin can be a change in taste perception.

Vote:
Were you getting a bad taste before the RCT? Did you have a gumboil (abscess) draining into your mouth?
Normally it is not necessary to prescribe antibiotics after an RCT; one of the rare side effects of clindamycin can be a change in taste perception.

Yes, I had an abscess draining into my mouth along with the bad taste before my root canal. My dentist prescribed the antibiotics because he said it was a bad infection. He was intitially going to prescribe amoxicillin, but then changed his mind to clindamycin.

Vote:

Ask a Question