Can crowns permanently sensitize teeth?

Hi all, I'd like to know if any of you have experienced anything like this. This may not be exactly endodontics, but crowns seem to go hand in hand - so this seemed like the best forum to use

Last summer (about August 2015), I had two crowns (w/o root canals) on teeth #s 4 and 5. Ever since then, #4 has been very sensitive, and I have fairly persistent pain in my jaw about that tooth. It sometimes does not allow me to chew.

X-rays don't show anything wrong with the rest of the tooth, including the roots. When my dentist taps my teeth, there is no particular sensitivity in #3 or #5, but a tap on #4 comes close to making me jump. #3 needs a crown replaced and a potential root canal along with it, and I don't know if that might be connected - but my dentist and I both doubt that. It seems individual teeth almost always make their needs known directly.

My dentist seems to think that procedures can sometimes cause long-term sensitivity and pain, but this is a first for me.

Sound familiar, anyone? Or do you have any similar experiences or other theories?

Ask a Question