Calcified teeth - need for root canal?

Does a calcified dental root need treatment when a large filling brakes off the tooth? There is no pain in the tooth!! Would a root canal treatment be needed if the tooth needed a new filling or crown?
I read on a number of websites that there is no need to do root canals on calcified roots, if there is no pain. I do not know if this is true for all situations.
Is the root in a calcified tooth not dead already? Does anyone know more about this?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
How do you know your dental root is calcified? If the x-ray shows no bony infection and your tooth feels cold (vital nerve), then you don't need a root canal.

Vote:
I know that my front teeth are calcified from my x-rays by the endodontist. However, it must have also been visible on my first x-ray which was done by a general dentist who saw me in emergency when a large filling came out on that front tooth, or a piece broke off. The endodontist took another x-ray, and told me that the root is calcified, I need root canal. I understood the need for the root canal this way: if I wanted to safe and preserve that tooth I need to do a root canal prior restorations. I had no pain at the time. After it was all done, I now question now whether I indeed needed this expensive root canal on the calcified root, particularly since I had no pain, the tooth was not not sensitive to percussion or cold.
Plus quite a few website say not needed in calcified teeth?!

And it did not end well. Now after the root canal ,I have pain in that tooth and adjacent teeth , worst of all facial /mouth numbness which does not go away. I have to seek help for the numbness of my face and pain in the tooth, cannot even bite on it ( four weeks after) endodontist does not acknowledge numbness.
I do not know what to do about this disaster, and endodontist has no explanation, possibly tooth cracked. I have a tooth next to it which has a calcified root and needs a crown. If I can avoid a root canal there, that would help me preserve my teeth.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Unfortunately there can be complications with any procedures. If you have no pain and no swelling, many times monitoring/watching the teeth involved may be best.

Vote:
Yes, I do know any procedure can have complications. I just explained my x-ray in context.
However my primary question is still, do calcified teeth really need a root canal if there is no pain.
Can one put a crown on on a tooth with a calcified root without prior doing a root canal.
Does anyone know?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you have no pain, no swelling, and not radiographic signs of disease, you don't need a root canal. It will be up to your dentist if you need a crown.

Vote:

Ask a Question