Bruising after extractions

View attachment 2581 I had multiple tooth extractions yesterday, and swelling beginning last night which has gotten worse today. I had a short appointment with my primary dentist today. He commented on the swelling on the left side. When I got home, I put an ice gel pack on both sides. When done, I saw an ugly bright purplish bruise like a line, running along the fold on my left cheek, which wasn't there previously. Was i caused by the ice? What can I do? How can I make it go away? How long will it last?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Hey there,

Bruising is quite common sometimes especially when multiple extractions are performed and it depends on the level of difficulty of the extractions.
Sometimes the dentist has to stretch your cheek etc to gain access to the tooth.
Some people also bruise easier than others.
Since the extractions were performed quite recently, I would not worry at the moment.
Healing can sometimes take a long while, depending on home wound care, so give it at least a week or so to start the healing process .
Follow the post operative instructions that your primary dentist gave you, and keep the wound as clean as possible to prevent any infection from setting in.
If pain persists after a week, and the bruising has not subsided, visit your dentist again for a follow-up examination.
Ice packs on the affected side, usually helps to reduce any swelling and to help speed up the healing process.
Hope this helps a little :)

Vote:

Ask a Question