Braces for 8 years - HELP!

Hello all-

I have had braces for 8 years and while they have made major improvements, I have not seen anything change in the past 2 years. They have suggested that I wear rubber bands, but I never have the capability to wear them. I work at a call center and am required to talk on a phone, and then go to class during the week also. I find it hard to find time to wear them. When I did attempt to wear my rubber bands I did not see any changes. At this point I am ready to have them taken off, but would like a second opinion. Should I keep them on or take them off and look at an alternative solution? i.e. cosmetic surgery, dental caps Thanks for reading.

I'm not a professional, just a consumer, and am sorry nobody has answered your question - AND that you have had braces for EIGHT YEARS! That is remarkable (perhaps even insane).

Personally, I'd be going elsewhere for a 2nd opinion. I'd also be figuring out how to be compliant and wear rubber bands for the time you need to.

Vote:
I'm an orthodontist and I've never had a patient where braces for 8 years. I would definitely get a second opinion. As for other options, Invisalign is great because you don't need rubber bands and you can take it out to eat, brush your teeth, etc. No bands are required. Also, have you looked into sublingual braces? This is where the actual brackets and ties are placed behind the teeth. If you're teeth haven't moved in 2 years, you definitely need to look into it with another orthodontist.

Vote:

Ask a Question