Black Spot on Gum following Scaling

CMO

Greetings,

This morning I noticed a black spot on the gum tissue above my right incisor. It is at the very top of the gum tissue - so the upper lip must be lifted to see it. I had a dental cleaning 3 weeks ago and I recall that the hygienist had to get quite aggressive to get under the gum tissue close to where the spot is located. The gum tissue in that area looked a little mangled after the cleaning and was bleeding. The spot is about 6 mm in diameter.

I plan to call my dentist this morning, but is this something any of you have seen? Should I be concerned?

CMO

I wanted to follow-up that I cannot say for sure how long this spot has been present. I do not usually lift my upper lift to observe my gums. In other words, it may have been present before my cleaning - although I am surprised the dentist or the hygienist would not have seen it.

Vote:

CMO

Thank you. Actually, looking at it in bright light, it looks like a hole. Does this make any sense. It is painless and at the top of the gum under the nose.

Vote:

CMO

No did not have a photo. Plan to see the dentist as soon as I can, There is a remote possibility it is a feature that has always been there and I never noticed. This seems unlikely but is possible because the upper lip must be lifted to see it - something I never do. Also there is no pain. It seems inconceivable to me that a hole could appear in one's gum without pain.

Vote:

CMO

Thanks BB. I saw my dentist today. After examining the thing, he indicated that it was an architectural feature of my mouth. Apparently, the tissues and veins are arranged in such a way that it appears that there is a hole in my gum tissue. It has possibly always been that way and I never noticed it. The tyranny of hyper-vigilance!

Vote:
Solutions
That's great that it's nothing to worry about. I try to avoid looking inside my mouth. If there is anything alarming I trust a dentist to spot it!

Vote:

Ask a Question