Biologic Width Violation to front centrals

I have a Biologic Width issue on the teeth 8 & 9. Prior to final placement of these (6 anteriors altogether) I underwent crown lengthening and wore provisional crowns for at least a year. Approximately 5 months after placement of six Emax crowns, I began experiencing bleeding between teeth 8&9.

My dentist now tells me he cannot help me and has referred me for more crown lengthening to make room for the violation. If I had stable teeth (these teeth are very fragile and have been endodontically treated with a post) AND some of the bone had not already been removed in the first crown lengthening, perhaps I wouldn’t be as anxious about undergoing more bone reshaping. However, everything I read cautions that you may lose the crowns even if you undergo more crown lengthening if nothing more than for esthetic reasons only, i. e., gum recession and loss of papilla (black triangle).

It would seem that considering my concerns with losing my teeth, it would make more sense to just have my dentist remove these crowns and start over...although, I am terrified they will break my natural teeth in the process.

Can you please advise me as to which path would render the better result?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Please provide images and x-rays (for bone anatomy) if possible. All the risks you mentioned are real and the best treatment needs to be as minimal trauma as possible for the most predictable results.

Vote:

Ask a Question