Anything I can apply on this tooth to buy time (a couple of months) ?

Solutions
Please see attached pics of my upper front two teeth. There are two pics of the same teeth at slightly different angle. Over the last few days, I just noticed that some tiny bit of food was stuck behind my teeth and after brushing it off, that brown spot is now visible. Covid is spreading very fast in my area right now and I don't want to risk going to the dentist right away. Because I live with my elderly mom who is high risk, I have not gone out anywhere as I don't want to bring covid back to her. I want to know the following things:
1. Is it a stain or is it caries? I hv been applying chlorhexidine to it on cotton pellet for a few minutes, over the last few days after brushing.
2. Is there anything I can apply on it to stop/prevent the caries from progressing?
3. I hv some zinc oxide n eugenol cement at home which I tried putting on it but it falls off after a few days as it's shallow.
4. i hv some cavity varnish. can i apply it on the brown area to stop it from progressing?
5. c an i apply calcium hydroxide paste on it to stop it from progressing?

pls let me know what can I apply to it that wud stop it from progressing n kill the caries.

Attachments

• tooth1.jpg
    tooth1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 100
  • tooth2.jpg
    tooth2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 98

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
That's decay between your teeth. It's not progressing fast, so can happily wait a few months. Just keep it clean, don't need to try anything special. You have severe acid erosion of your teeth, and that will be a long term worry unless you stop your acidic drinks/foods.

Vote:
Solutions
Thanks for your reply. I just have a hypothetical question. Considering the way that decay looks right now, supposing a thin layer of fluoride varnish were to be applied just on that brown spot, would it seal off the food supply to the bacteria and stop the decay from progressing further, or would the decay still continue to progress underneath the varnish?

Thanks for pointing out the acid erosion issue. I have stopped such acidic drinks/foods, but for the damage already done, is there anything I can later ask my dentist to do for that, to prevent caries on those eroded areas in future (such as fluoride varnish or something else applied on the eroded areas)? Please suggest something that can prevent caries in future in those high risk eroded areas.

Vote:

Ask a Question