Air pocket/small hole in temporary crown

I have a question! Will the small hole/air pocket that is in my temporary crown affect my permanent crown because it is a pain

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It usually won't be a problem for your permanent crown as the permanent crown material can be thinner and stronger. But is does suggest that that your tooth has been under-prepared and if the dentist starts adjusting your permanent crown, ask him to confirm that the final thickness is OK. Thickness is easily measured with calipers.
We can't give you permanent crowns with holes.

Vote:
What does it mean by under prepared? Do they need to see if they can take more of the tooth off? It also feels like it’s throbbing! That’s not normal right?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The temporary crown gives a rough guide as to the likely thickness of the final permanent crown.
When the permanent crown is tried in for fit, then any adjustments are made before cementing. The thickness of the permanent crown must be correct before cementing - if too thin, then more tooth needs to be removed, a new impression taken, a new temp crown made, and a new permanent crown made. This is not costed to the patient as it would indicate the dentist miscalculated way back at the first preparation.
A leaking temp crown lets fluids get inside and will often cause sensitivity.

Vote:

Ask a Question