Abscess

LRV

History:
Only had four cavities until age 50. Had a very good dentist that would rather save teeth than go the destructive route and do root-canals and implants for every problem. Unfortunately he retired.
About 6 years ago (before I met the abovementioned dentist) I had an abscess. My previous dentist then wanted to remove 4 teeth! I decided no-way and went for a second opinion. The dentist then did minor surgery on the abscess and it completely resolved with no loss of teeth. All the teeth are in perfect condition till this day and did not pose any problem. He saved 4 teeth that would have been removed (almost criminally)

Current Problem:
I developed a knob high up above a tooth that was worked on 3 months ago by my new dentist. Upon visiting them, they just said root canal and that is the end of the story. No attempts to surgically resolve the abscess and solve it with antibiotics. From the X-rays it does not seem if the tooth is involved at all so I need a second opinion. The tooth feels perfect has no pain and in fact feels better than other teeth which are perfectly normal.

Does anyone know about a dentist in the Northern Virginia area that will do preventative surgery and not just jump on the ones-size-fits-all root-canal bandwagon.

I would like to at least try to resolve the abscess by draining it and using antibiotics first before extraction etc.

Last edited:
having an abscess means that there is some form of infection. From a dental perspective it can be tooth or gum related or both. if it is tooth related then one way to truly get rid of the infection is via root canal therapy. If your abscess is purely gum related (periodontal) then you may not need the root canal.
the point is: first identify the source of the infection.

Vote:

Ask a Question