About using bad breath toothpaste

Hi,

Dentist told me to use a specific toothpaste and mouthwash (both against bad breath which I have just a little).

My questions are can I use that toothpaste (and mouthwash) just 1-2 times a week, and use a regular toothpaste on other days? Is there anything wrong with that? Will the bad breath toothpaste still be at least a bit effective to fight bad breath?

The toothpaste & m/w are called Gum Halicontrol.

Thanks

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There may be various reasons for bad breath. Hopefully your dentist had evaluated you for possible gum disease. Hopefully the dentist and or hygienist discussed Oral Hygiene and home care with you. Hopefully your medical doctor did not diagnose any diabetes or other gastrointestinal conditions. Hopefully you following a healthy diet that does not restrict all healthy carbs like Keto, Paleo, Atkins diet, and that you are eating at regular times.

Vote:
thanks for help but I really wish my actual question to be answered, which is whether using the 'bad breath toothpaste' just 1-2 a week (instead of daily) will still be effective... and use a normal toothpaste on other days.

Because the bad breath toothpaste is quite small and expensive.

Thanks

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
From my 22 years experience, I don't see any difference in performance/intended results with various toothpastes on the market other than abrasiveness and chemical irritation/immune responses. If you have any underlying conditions that causes bad breath, the extra scented toothpastes may only mask it temporarily. I don't like oral rinses for 2 reasons...its chemical irritation to oral tissues and human nature's tendency to be lazy..."I don't feel like brushing and flossing today so I'll rinse for 5 seconds and call it good" story. Get any toothpaste (avoid whitening toothpastes due to their abrasiveness) that you can use daily and not worry about brand/type X or Y.

Vote:

Ask a Question