53 yo female with severe gum disease and bone loss despite dental care most of my life.

I have had pretty regular dental care until 5 years ago but was told in my forties that I have periodontal disease and significant bone loss. I do notice pics of my grandfather(passed away at 73) and my teeth appear to look very similar to his. My gums are receding so much that the discolored root is showing on front top teeth. Significant bone loss is evident because I currently have several loose teeth. I am devastated because I was always complimented on how pretty my teeth were when I was in mid 30's and younger. I went to regular dental appts and had teeth cleaned on regular basis (at least yearly), I went to a Periodontist and had deep cleaning and scaling as well. My teeth are still going to fall out and I am a RN struggling (seriously) and have NO HEALTH or dental insurance with the company I work for. Health insurance is over 600.00 a month and no dental insurance.
I am actually quite attractive for 53 until I smile. I have bone loss so, I will need bone grafts implanted to grow so I may have support for any implants. I guess at these ridiculous dental implant prices, I will have to buy one implant at a time.
I am a healthcare worker with a BSN and student loans and can barely support myself due to housing costs and youI have to have a vehicle in Jacksonville, FL area or you won't survive.
I totally respect a professional's education and dedication to their profession but I feel like MDs and Dentists need to have caps on their prices for services. Ive seen a lot of bad insurance billing practices from Health Professionals in my 25 years as a RN. Ive also seen downright fraud. I don't know many people who can afford dental implants without getting a second mortgage on their house. Who has an extra 30,000 these days in this economy in a white collar job? And I work my ass off. You nurses out there know what I mean.
Anyway, now that I have expressed my dismay and the embarrassment of my teeth and not being able to afford to replace them, Does anyone have any experiences they can share about getting dental care in another country? Or know of dental schools offering clinical trials? I have heard both positive and negative comments about dental vacations. I have to admit it sounds scary.

Attachments

• - Version 220140801121944.jpg
    - Version 220140801121944.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 323
  • - Version 220140801120827.jpg
    - Version 220140801120827.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 321
  • 298478_10151486485674450_1232734497_n.jpg
    298478_10151486485674450_1232734497_n.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 304
  • 1008271_10151665218554450_1852790026_o.jpg
    1008271_10151665218554450_1852790026_o.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 352

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Consider dental schools and possible "dental tourism" for implants. If you had regular dental visits, your dentist didn't discuss your deteriorating gum and bone condition sooner?

Vote:
Consider dental schools and possible "dental tourism" for implants. If you had regular dental visits, your dentist didn't discuss your deteriorating gum and bone condition sooner?

Yes, it was mentioned, deteriorating gums but not bone loss so much. I had the scaling/deep cleaning but it wasn't emphasized how severe the issue was or I would have been much more diligent. Their was disbelief on my part because I was young and never imagined my teeth ever deteriorating. I will also admit, I was a smoker for many years as well.

Vote:
Yes, it was mentioned, deteriorating gums but not bone loss so much. I had the scaling/deep cleaning but it wasn't emphasized how severe the issue was or I would have been much more diligent. Their was disbelief on my part because I was young and never imagined my teeth ever deteriorating. I will also admit, I was a smoker for many years as well. Money has always been a part of the issue as well. I had dental insurance but it didn't cover much and all Ive ever had was cleanings and one crown.

I am considering dental tourism but Im scared to death from what people write and report. I have heard a few positive remarks as well. I have been researching dental colleges. Thank You. Anymore resources you may know of would be appreciated.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Check on the dental school closest to you. If you prioritize cosmetics, the cost anywhere will be very high because it is so labor intensive. Request a consult with a faculty dentist and address all of your concerns including costs. Maybe the faculty dentist will direct you to the appropriate direction(s).

Vote:

Ask a Question