4 days after deep filling have pain when drinking and slight swollen cheek

Dear all.
I have done a tooth filling 4 days ago and been told by the doctor it was quite close to the nerve but not too close to have root canals done. I have noticed that I am very sensitive when I drink liquids even if not too cold.
I have to drink or eat warm water/food or I get a quite strong pain from the tooth filled.

I have also noticed my left cheek is slightly swollen.

Even taking ibuprofen 200mg X2 tablet the tooth is still very sensitive to cold air or drinks.

Should I go back to the doctor?

Any advice?

Many thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_161655_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_161655_Gmail.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240320_161911_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_161911_Gmail.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 3

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I would go back for a follow-up. There is a chance that the filling was too close to the nerve and unfortunately it sounds like you might have an irreversible pulpitis on the tooth at this stage, which is an indication for a root canal treatment.

Vote:
I went back to a check up and the doctor took another x-ray which was the same as the one done before leaving the practice after the filling.
No change
She applied a gel to improve the sensitivity on the tooth and so far after 2 days I'm noticing improved sensitivity to cold.
She said to wait a week and if I still have pain to go ahead with root canals done.
Also was prescribed the Colgate duraphat 5000ppm to use daily as my tooth paste.

Do you think the fact that I am less sensitive now could hopefully mean it was a pulpitis who is healing and finger crossed I won't need a root canal?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
We would need to wait and see. If the pain returns, then unfortunately a root canal is indicated.

Vote:

Ask a Question