3 month ordeal replacing 4 crowns on my front teeth has lead to an abscess

I apologize, this is a lengthy thread but I'm hoping for some insight.

I started my journey 3 months ago to replace my 4 porcelain crowns on my front teeth that were over 10 years old. The crowns had become cracked over time and I had an accident over the summer colliding with my dog where I felt certain I probably broke my nose, although I didn't go to the hospital. The crowns began to bother me a bit after this accident so I bit the bullet and started the process to replace them.

I spent over 3 hours in the dental chair the first visit and the temporary they made for me seemed very tight and uncomfortable. I left the dentist thinking once the swelling went down a bit the temporary would be fine. This wasn't the case. I ended up back at the dentist the next morning in excruciating pain. I had to get Novocain shots again and the technician made some adjustments to the temporary. The fit seemed better but still uncomfortable. I couldn't tread dental floss through it without pain so my gums remained puffy. I figured I could make it two weeks until my permanent crowns were made. As it turned, out the lab lost my case and it took a month to get my permanent crowns back.

Finally, I was able to go to the appointment to have my permanent crowns seated. The lab had not done a good job of making them and the dentist wanted them perfect, so we did another impression and sent them back. They went ahead and temporarily cemented the bad permanent set in. They seemed much more comfortable than the temporary. I actually got out of pain and was feeling good when I went in for my second shot at the permanent seat. The technician had a really hard time getting these crowns out. It was very uncomfortable. Again, the dentist was not happen with the way they looked but, I thought they looked better than the second set so we temporarily cemented these in, then more impressions and more waiting.

One of the two front teeth was much longer then the other and I had some pain when I bit down but I thought it was due to my bite being off slightly. I had a lot of travel for work and pleasure so I just sucked it up.

Last week, I flew to Dallas and on the way home I began to have a strange feeling that my upper lip was swelling and something just felt wrong. By the time I woke up Saturday morning, I had an abscess. My upper lip and left side of my face were very swollen. I've been on antibiotics for three days and I still have some swelling. I'm seeing my dentist today.

Finally, my question, the dentist said my real teeth were not cracked, only the crowns. We've done a lot of X-rays and no one said the roots looked compromised. Is there anyway the dentist could have known three months ago that this might happen and had me see an Endodontist first to avoid the abscess?

I really like my dentist but this makes me question their treatment. I've spent a lot of money and now I'm not sure what this abscess means for my dental health. Will it require surgery to drain or just a root canal, could I loose this tooth and have to get an implant.

As I understand it, abscesses are not all the result of decaying pulp in the pulp chamber and roots. They can be more superficial and are well known to dentists as a possibility when crowns are fitted. You should find out the nature of the abscess to determine what treatment you may need.

Vote:
Thanks for your reply. As it turns out, I will have to have 2 root canals on my two front teeth. Obviously, this is not what I had hoped, but I'm happy that I won't have to worry about the health of these two teeth for a good long while after I get this taken care. I think, before I agree to anymore crowns, I'll request a consultation with an Endodontist just to make sure the teeth I'm crowning are not dead. The good news, these crowns I'm wearing now are temporarily cemented in and I have a brand new set waiting for me once the root canals heal.

Vote:
Solutions
I would go to an endodontist to have the root treatment done as you want any treatment on your front teeth to be perfect. If you change crowns there is always a risk of root failure because of the trauma and because it exposes the underlying tooth to bacteria. But I think it's your accident that caused these roots to die. You don't see root failure on x ray until a few weeks after it starts.

Vote:
Solutions
I too any having teeth problems with the front four top being the worst. Three of the top four have crowns and two of them root canals and they hurt worse than any of the others. I guess my comment us why us a technician doing any adjustments on a crown. Sometimes I think technicians do stuff they aren't suppose to. All comes down to money. Hope you get your problem fixed soon.

Vote:

Ask a Question