$1 toothpaste: Should I buy it?

There are a few brands of cheap toothpaste in dollar stores and bottom shelves of supermarkets, with Aim being the most common. A full standard 6 oz. tube is $1. Should I buy it?

A recent study by the National Bureau of Economic Research found that nurses and pharmacists bought generic aspirin while average consumers bought Bayer at 6x the price, because nurses and pharmacists knew that generic aspirin worked just as well. So I was wondering if I'm stupidly paying for marketing and pretty packaging when I should just get the dollar brand.

I did some research, and Aim, originally produced by Unilever, is now owned by Church & Dwight, the owners of Arm & Hammer.

Here are the ingredients for Aim's Multi-Benefit Cavity Protection Ultra Mint toothpaste: Active Ingredients: Sodium Fluoride (0.24%). Purpose: Anticavity Toothpaste. Inactive Ingredients: Sorbitol, Water, Hydrated Silica, PEG-8, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, SD Alcohol 38-B, Flavor, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Saccharin, Blue 1, Yellow 10.

I compared this to Crest and Colgate anti-cavity toothpastes, and it seems about the same. So should I buy it?

Ask a Question