Waterpik for impacted wisdom tooth - pos/neg

I hope this isn't too much of a stupid question but I have been suffering from impacted lower wisdom teeth for around 2-3 years now. Atleast one of them gets infected every six months and I am in terrible pain. They have been X-Rayed every 6 months but the roots are very close to the nerve so dentist is reluctant to pull them out.

There isn't too much of a gum flap left over the top of either of them now but there is a definite space behind the wisdom tooth under gum that I can't clean with a manual / electric toothbrush and I can't floss behind it! - This will be the cause of the infection no doubt when food gets trapped down there....

I am considering purchasing a Waterpik cordless plus specifically for my wisdom teeth (not necessarily for general flossing), in the hope that I can jet it all around the wisdom teeth and miraculously any trapped food will be flushed out - I am concerned however that I will be doing more damage than good by food being pushed further down the back or it actually having little or no effect as the waterpik won't be strong enough to budge anything!!

Any advice much appreciated!! As you can see I am focusing on keeping the wisdom teeth very clean to avoid any further infections.

From what I was just told about when I had my wisdom teeth looked at, The longer they are in, the worse the issues will become and if you are unlucky like myself. The wisdom tooth that is impacted, will cause damage to the teeth near it and have to be pulled :/.

I would suggest going to see a oral surgeon about it. They are "specialized" in situations like that. Where your dentist might be reluctant to pull it. Most oral surgeons have the experience and are more than likely to pull it.

Vote:

Ask a Question