Tourette's & OCD compulsion to grind & push on teeth

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a solution to my dilemma? I suffer with Tourette’s & OCD and have an intense compulsion to grind and push on my teeth. A few years ago I actually snapped my incisor tooth due to this and haven’t been able to replace it as I have been afraid of doing the same again. My dentist has suggested a bridge but I’m afraid that won’t be strong enough if I start pushing on it again. He says an implant may be risky as I could cause damage to the jaw bone if I pushed on it too much. I’m at a loss. Is there such a thing as a flexible implant? Or, is there some sort of material the tooth can be made out of so that if I push on it, the actual tooth will break instead of the implanted rod? Or any other options? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Apw623

You might consider wearing an occlusal or bite guard (sometimes called night guard) to prevent you from clinching or grinding which would protect your teeth. If you don't find a way to control your habit you will continue to damage your teeth and any restoration that you get to replace the broken tooth is likely to fail.

Vote:
You might consider wearing an occlusal or bite guard (sometimes called night guard) to prevent you from clinching or grinding which would protect your teeth. If you don't find a way to control your habit you will continue to damage your teeth and any restoration that you get to replace the broken tooth is likely to fail.
Hi LADentalclinic,
Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I have thought about a bite guard, but I would be worried if I had the compulsion whilst I was out of my home and wouldn't be able to wear it. I've googled them after your suggestion though and see that you can get clear translucent ones which I didn't know about. I think I may get one before I have the implant to see how I get on with it. With an implant, is it possible to also attach some sort of extra support to the teeth either side?
Many thanks,
Apw623

Vote:
Not really, but implants are made out of titanium. It is an extremely hard and strong material that is also used for artificial joint replacements. Once it has fully integrated with your bone it should be rock solid.

Vote:

Ask a Question