Tooth extraction doesn't look correctly finished

Hello,
My first post.
I recently had a wisdom tooth removed, lower left side. It was in a normal position, not a weird angle or anything. It had a temporary filling on it.

I am very concerned that the dentist has not completed the work correctly. He put in stitches but only one stitch looks correct over a cut in my gum where an earlier extraction took place. The other stitches are just running up one side of the socket and not pulling the gums closed. So I am left with a painful gapping hole.

Can a dentist give an opinion please. I am still getting pain in the area. I was given about 7 injections. One to the back of the jaw then about 5 injections around the tooth and another final one down one side of my jaw. Seems excessive for a tooth sitting normally. The dentist took the tooth out in pieces which I don't think was necessary. I am still in pain about 8 days after the extraction.

Luckily I can include a photo of an x-ray of my tooth area (cropped) and I managed to get some photos done with my mobile phone, not an easy task.

Thank you for any replies.

Peter

Attachments

• DSC_0033 copy.JPG
    DSC_0033 copy.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0036 copy.JPG
    DSC_0036 copy.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0038 copy.JPG
    DSC_0038 copy.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0042 copy.JPG
    DSC_0042 copy.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Peter Duffy teeth x-ray DSC_0001 copy.JPG
    Peter Duffy teeth x-ray DSC_0001 copy.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 20

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
Stitches are not always placed to fully close a socket. If the tooth was erupted, such as in your case, the stitches are placed where incisions are made or where tissues were torn. Often there is still a hole left behind, to allow blood clot formation.
The fact that you have pain, might be an indication though that you have a dry socket. This happens when the blood clot is disturbed or if food gets into the socket. This is more common in bottom extractions and in some cases the stitches accidentally trap food particles, which if not rinsed out correctly, also leads to dry socket formation.
I would arrange a follow up visit with your dentist/oral surgeon, to make sure that don't have a dry socket, and if you do, to treat it accordingly.

Vote:
Good day
Stitches are not always placed to fully close a socket. If the tooth was erupted, such as in your case, the stitches are placed where incisions are made or where tissues were torn. Often there is still a hole left behind, to allow blood clot formation.
The fact that you have pain, might be an indication though that you have a dry socket. This happens when the blood clot is disturbed or if food gets into the socket. This is more common in bottom extractions and in some cases the stitches accidentally trap food particles, which if not rinsed out correctly, also leads to dry socket formation.
I would arrange a follow up visit with your dentist/oral surgeon, to make sure that don't have a dry socket, and if you do, to treat it accordingly.
Thank you for your reply. What I am concerned about it what appears to be left over roots that can be seen in picture DSC_0042, next to the x-ray picture. Thank you.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Impossible to say without a new x-ray, but it might only be the bone in between the roots of the molar that you are seeing here. This is normal and usually breaks down as healing progresses. You might even sometimes experience bone particles coming out through the gum at a later stage.
If you are scared that it is root pieces left in situ, you will have to take a new x-ray

Vote:

Ask a Question