Tooth and nerve pain?

Some time back I had a tooth that needed a crown (at least that was what the dentist said) so went ahead with the procedure. A temporary was installed. I was very happy with the dentist; she was very careful and gentle was hopeing to have her when it came time for the permanent to be installed.

Unfortunately that didn't happen. The dentist greeted me nicely but that was the end of the good bed side manner. First she put the jel thingie in my mouth and waited for about a minute before taking it out. There was no numbing of my gum (before I go any further the tooth in question is [don't know it's number] the upper right canine). After removing the jel stick she immediately stuck me; more pain than with other dentists.

She began wiggling the temp but it wouldn't budge and I was feeling some discomfort so she got the needle out again and this time she really stuck me, considerably more discomfort (real pain this time).
She got the temp crown off and installed the permanent one. So far so good my jaw was too numb for any discomfort.

After the anesthetic wore off the pain began. Touching the tooth was not just uncomfortable but downright painful. I could not chew with that tooth. The next day the pain increased and continued at that level into the following day. Now, I am not one to panic over the mouth pain but it was strong enough that the next day I went back to have it checked. The dentist I was becoming to dislike checked the bite and took some material off the tooth which because the lower tooth was no longer touching it seemed to at least relieve the discomfort.

The pain moderated over the next two weeks but has come back. Here is the crux of the matter.
Not only is the tooth sensitive but above it just to the right of my nose there is a sensitive spot that when pushed on is also painful and the pain shoots down into my tooth.

I an going to say it is obvious that a nerve associated with the tooth is the one that is so tender.
I believe that somehow in the dentists rather aggressive sticking she managed to injure the nerve though not being a doctor or anatomist I cannot be absolutely positive.

What I want to know is what can be done about it if anything.

The dentist I go to has a (as nearly as I can tell) has a large turnover of dentists. This is the first one I don't want working on my mouth.

In any case I'd like to hear a dentist's view. Please

Robert

Ask a Question