Tooth #18 has new decay and a 9 mm pocket. Treatable?

HELP PLEASE!

Three years ago my left lower molar had a root canal treatment then a crown. It's been fine. Last Xray a year ago (see below). Last dental exam was four months ago and normal. No pockets. I brush three times a day, get fluoride applications twice a year, and floss often.

A week ago there was pain in the tooth, slightly increased if the tooth were to be moved. Xray taken (see below). Dental exam shows that there's now a 9 mm buccal pocket.

Started using a WaterPik squirter 4x/day vigorously around the tooth, and within a day, the tooth felt fine. Two dentists told me the tooth should be removed. A third dentist thinks the tooth has a crack (? small line seen on the Xray in the center with maybe bone loss.

What would be wrong with my simply continuing to use the WaterPik and do nothing for now?

Should this tooth be removed ASAP?

Why does a pocket appear? If there's swelling any pocket should get smaller.

What's wrong with having a pocket as long as it's cleaned often? Will this pocket go away?

How often should I get X-rays done? Every six weeks on my three crowned teeth?

November 2015 Xray.png
December 2016 teeth xray.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same and I can answer your question as to why it matters if you have the pocket or not, out of my own experience. I also thought it didn't matter, until I got an infection to the point of not being able to swallow without incredible pain, I lived on soup for a week while waiting for the appointment.

They did a cleaning and now I have no pain, but they say that in the future, it can happen again as bacteria can fill up there, it's a good place for them. Dentists didn't suggest that I have the tooth taken out, they instead said that I should get an artificial bone placed there, but hey, I also heard from some that it can naturally close up if treated well at home, but I don't know much about that.

Vote:
I have a tooth decay.last night I had a really painful toothache..but one thing I noticed was my gum is red but the inside of my cheek are swelling.what act happened?

sorry if I post to the wrong thread.

Vote:

Ask a Question