Talking to the customer

YSI

The best providers (not just dentists) direct a running commentary to their patient while working on them. I am old enough to notice the changes over 3 generations. I used to receive an education of sorts about MY tooth/teeth during every appt-running commentary about what they are doing and what they are seeing. I can't help noticing that I now leave my appointments having learned about their social life, their family, their trips, their favorite bars and restaurants, etc. There is too much conversation taking place between providers and assistants which is not related to the customer. This affects concentration, plus it drives the patient nuts not being able to join in, LOL. TMI could also be a security concern for providers, depending on who the customer is.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Well, I rarely needed to give a patient a running commentary on what I was doing every second, except to advise of the needle, a change from high-speed to low-speed, placing matrices... Sure, I chatted with my DAs, but not about topics that I expected the patient to join in, and I was relaxed and in full control. When I needed to really concentrate, I would hum or whistle so that I still appeared relaxed!!

Vote:

Ask a Question