Sensitive to biting a Banana?

For 25 years of regular dentist visits both at home and military my teeth have been great. Zero cavities (hooray!).

Then, boom, I go to a new dentist in my new town and I have 6 cavities. They're deep cavities, caught very early with an infrared camera that can see deep into crevaces in my teeth apparently. Sounded legit, and the dentist was in a big city with a long list of patients and a perfect score on Google.com. So, I asked a few questions...why all these cavities so suddenly? What did I do wrong? etc. She assured me that my dental hygiene was fine and that cavities eventually develop in hard to reach places in your teeth.

SO... she fixed them. Topical numbing agent on my gums, shots of lidocaine to the gums, and she went to town. She also sanded off some old dental cement that was on my lower right canine.

Fastforward to the next day. I cannot drink water of ANY temperature. I cannot eat anything cold. Not old does the temperature of the food send me into a 10 second still-frame of pain and sensitivity but the biting down on soft noodles hurts the teeth operated on ("restored"). Also, the canine that had the cement on it? Turning black from the inside... a dull darkness (but very distinct). I tell my dentist and I go back in, more Xrays. She says the dark tooth looks fine but may need a root canal in the future. She attributes the sensitivity to my use of whitening toothpaste and my tooth grinding. Which, I know are very likely causes... but it's now been 2.5 months since the "restoration" and I still can't eat bananas, pudding, cold sandwhiches, drink any liquids, or basically breathe a breath of cold air without extreme pain!! :( 2.5 months of wearing a mouth guard and using non-whitening paste.

Why?? I want to know without a doubt that nothing the dentist did has caused all this mayhem in my usually perfect mouth. Could any of the drugs or the operation itself caused all this? I mean, it all started the next day... I am having trouble believing that coinicidentally my bruxism and whitening toothpaste use decided to have this maddening affect the day after she worked on 6 of my teeth. Please advise!

Ask a Question