Question about charges for bridge work

Long story short, I had a previously injured tooth (from childhood) that was ankylosed. Had a veneer on it 20-some years ago and it was fine all that time. 6 months ago I found out that there was root resorption, tooth came out and was hopeful for an implant but no luck. Not enough bone even after the graft. SO that brings me to the bridge question. I've gone for an eval and estimate which was much higher than I expected. For each of the 2 abutments they're coding for "core buildup, including any pins" - is this necessary as a separate procedure? From what I understand this is for significant tooth decay or such that it needs to be restored prior to receiving the bridge. My abutment teeth are in good health.

They're also charging for "unspecified fixed prosthetic procedure" for all 3 units.... $187 x 3!! This is not covered by my insurance and they did not really explain what it was for, only that it's part of the procedure. My insurance company said the covered charge for the crown/pontic/crown units IS the procedure so I'm really confused as to why the additional fees are listed.

Lastly, they are charging for laser treatment for all 3 units which I understood as being something to do with preparing the site so I guess I get that and will have to swallow the $120 x 3 for that part but again was just taken back by the total of $3300.

OH - and they're suggesting a "deep cleaning" because I have a permanent retainer on the bottom arch. I've never been told there's an extra charge for cleaning around that. Never. :(

If anyone can advise as to whether I'm being ripped off.... I'd appreciate it! :) This is a front tooth so kind of important cosmetically but I'm a poor teacher with apparently crappy insurance!

Solutions
I am sorry you lost your tooth from resorption. Get a second opinion about the bridge. It's a big step so it's worth paying extra for only if you have a good dentist to look after you from start to finish.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I believe all the extra charges you mentioned are a scam. Deep cleaning is for gum disease with attachment loss probing depths at 5 mm or deeper. How did you find this dentist? Ask people who they like and check him or her out. If you are unsure about charges and fees, chances are the dentist is hungry.

Vote:
This practice has great reviews... and I liked the dentist! Until I got the estimate. I'm thinking people just blindly think whatever they're told is honest and true and pay what's asked. I'm getting another opinion next week. I just wanted to know that I'm not crazy!

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Scammer. If your supporting teeth are in good condition then there is no need for cores or pins.
Laser treatment for the gums perhaps? Doubtful.
"Unspecified"? ask them to specify and justify. Would you take that from a car mechanic without questioning?
All that said, $3300 is a good price; I'd be charging over $4000 for high-precious PFM bridge.

Vote:

Ask a Question