Pus after Root Canal

Hi, I had an important question and I'll be quick about it.

I had a root canal done 2 months ago on a molar - everything was going fine after that, I was told to come in after 6 weeks for a check so they could fit in the crown.

Before I visited for the crown a week earlier I experience pain and swelling in my molar just like before I had the root canal. I went to the dentist for an emergency and he referred me to have it extracted in the hospital. A few days after that the swelling slighlt worsened until a white pus spot formed below the tooth. It popped and after that if feels like the tooth has had no problem at all. It's been over 3 weeks and the tooth feels fine so I was wondering if I don't need an extraction after all and the problem was fixed by itself. Is that the case?

Is it worth visiting the dentist and checking if it's gone so I could have a crown fitted or is it impossible to have the infection removed by a mere pus infection?

Thank you. I appreciate your time.

I wouldn't have the tooth prepped for the crown until you're sure there is no more infection. Puss equals infection. Were you given an antibiotic before or after the root canal? Most root canals are successful but on rare occasions they fail. I would have an x-ray taken to make sure that the tooth is healthy before investing in a crown.

Vote:

Ask a Question