Problems After Deep Filling

Hello

I had an old, big filling removed and replaced on #2. I can add an X-ray if necessary (before procedure). There was a small crack in the tooth as well which was fixed. The tooth was reinforced with ribbond. We chose this option because the dentist said an onlay would be about $1800 while this other option was half.

The dentist literally spent 3 hours on the one tooth. He drilled and then reconstructed it. That same night, I felt a since of anxiety, adrenaline, and heart palpitations which caused sleeping issues. It is now on week three and those symptoms have not gone away. The tooth is achy to heat mainly. Pain is 3 out of 10.

Can anyone give me some insight as to what's going on? Is there perhaps a bad allergy? Maybe just too much work? Dying tooth? All of the above?

The Dr is basically saying watch and wait. However, I've been unable to work due to sleep issues. It's not that I'm in pain, it's that I keep getting these adrenaline and/or cortisol spikes ever since I had that tooth worked on. It's really bizarre and I had to do an EKG just to be sure I wasn't having heart issues.

Please, any advice 🙏

Hello

Here is a bite x-ray for #2. It was the top right second molar. The first one should be #2

Attachments

• IMG_20240309_075121.jpg
    IMG_20240309_075121.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240309_075552.jpg
    IMG_20240309_075552.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 8

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It looks like you have a very deep filling, close to the nerve or pulpal horn, of the top molar. In cases like this, I have seen that the pain, or rather sensitivity, lasts for a long time, since the filling is causing chronic irritation of the pulp. Gradually this pain might becoming more severe and spontaneous and then lead to pulp death, which would be an indication for a root canal treatment.
In such a case, you can either a) Leave it , b) Replace the resin filling with a temporary Kalzinol filling, which has sedative properties and observe for improvement. There is a risk of pulp exposure when removing the old resin filling and then c) initiate a root canal treatment immediately.

Vote:
It looks like you have a very deep filling, close to the nerve or pulpal horn, of the top molar. In cases like this, I have seen that the pain, or rather sensitivity, lasts for a long time, since the filling is causing chronic irritation of the pulp. Gradually this pain might becoming more severe and spontaneous and then lead to pulp death, which would be an indication for a root canal treatment.
In such a case, you can either a) Leave it , b) Replace the resin filling with a temporary Kalzinol filling, which has sedative properties and observe for improvement. There is a risk of pulp exposure when removing the old resin filling and then c) initiate a root canal treatment immediately.
Hello

Thank you for taking a look at this. But what I don't understand is why I feel so off. Yes the tooth aches, but my sleep and mood are actually being affected. I don't wake up with pain, it's just this super off feeling I've had ever since the work. It was three hours worth of work. I've never had that happen.

Is it possible I am in a state of inflammation? Could I be reacting to the materials used (ribbond)? The Dr said watch and wait but it's been a month and I feel super off.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you have a filling that affects the nerve, that ache can definitely affect your emotional state as well. I would go back to the dentist for a root canal.

Vote:
Depends on the level of pain or discomfort you are in. If not too bad, you can wait a month.
Hello

The tooth ache after the deep removal and replacement has slowly been getting better. I added some supplements to help with nerve repair and inflammation. What I'm wondering about is a possible allergy or sensitivity to the materials. The Dr use ribond along with composite. As mentioned, this was a huge filling he removed and replaced. He spent 3 hours on it! After the dental work, I now have chronic dry mouth and allergic shiners. Is it possible the ribbond fibers or composite are causing these things? This whole situation has just been bizarre and I've never had any issues getting dental work before. Thanks!

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Even though it is possible, it is extremely rare to be allergic to the material. The dry mouth might be unrelated. Are you on any chronic asthma or blood pressure medication?

Vote:
Even though it is possible, it is extremely rare to be allergic to the material. The dry mouth might be unrelated. Are you on any chronic asthma or blood pressure medication?
I see...nope, not on any meds. That's what's so weird about this whole situation -- I never had any issues going to the dentist for cleanings and fillings. However, after this filling removal and "fiber reinforced filling", all hell broke loose. It just blows my mind. But also it's important to note that I've never had ribbond fibers before. Perhaps that's the issue and not the composite?

Vote:

Ask a Question