Periodontics vs. dentistry

Hello all!

Quick question... Went for my checkup two weeks ago and the dentist found an infection right under tooth 15 (top left /second to last.) I was given various treatment options (money was not discussed) and went with the implant. I was basically explained that, due to the bone mass loss, they would have to extract the existing tooth, graft the molar cavity and, if all heals well, continue with the treatment. All is well... until I go to pay my copay and am told that the work (extraction + grafting) isn't periodontal in nature and that, due to that, they would have to charge me full price for the treatment. I looked at my insurance coverage and found out that if the work is periodontal in nature, they cover all the costs, if it's a simple extraction and grafting, they do not. My agreement to the treatment was that the extraction and grafting HAD to happen because of the infection.

Is this correct?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Can you provide x-rays? Were you experiencing pain, discomfort, and or swelling? In general, insurance will provide the least financial benefits. Implants are usually not covered since they are so expensive and they are considered elective (non-essential).

Vote:
Can you provide x-rays? Were you experiencing pain, discomfort, and or swelling? In general, insurance will provide the least financial benefits. Implants are usually not covered since they are so expensive and they are considered elective (non-essential).
Hello Honestdoc.

Yes, they charged me for a periapical X-day and it was determined that the loss was severe enough for it to have gone through the bone and into the sinus cavity. I had no pain but I did have swelling.

Cheers.

Vote:

Ask a Question