Pain in tooth adjacent to tooth with filling

During a recent dental visit all my teeth checked out healthy except #18, and two weeks ago I received a filling. Recently, #17 exhibits quick sharp burst of pain chewing hard foods like chips, but only if the food hits the tooth dead center, otherwise passive pressure while chewing does not elicit any reaction. I do not experience ongoing soreness or pain, and my tooth is not affected by changes in temperature. During my filling the dentist applied two shots of novacaine as well as a carbocaine injection to ensure complete numbness. I have read about rare circumstances where a nerve can be aggravated and take several weeks to heal, and I wonder if this is my issue considering #17 had good x-rays and no visible or physical signs of cavities. Are there any suggestions how to navigate this issue, even including ignoring it and seeing if it goes away. I already went back once to have my filling sanded down a little to adjust my bite, I don't want to go back again for another problem if it is truly minor and temporary. Thanks.

I am not in possession of my most recent x-rays, however at the time my dentist did not see anything of concern either in the image or examination.
The sensation I feel is very specific when crunchy food hits my molar dead center, and my tooth won't even react if I poke that same area with a tooth pick. It still does not react to temperature changes either. I was thinking of giving it some time and see if the feeling goes away in case it is related to nerves, and if not call my dentist.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Difficult to give any advice without more information. I agree, that if the pain doesn't go away, go and see your dentist for another look.

Vote:

Ask a Question