My dentist wants to remove most of my teeth as they have 'poor prognosis'

Hello, I am not happy. My own dentist is off having a baby for the last year. I have not had a check up for a year but I had been at the dental hospital about one of my teeth and had to go back to have work finished. This caused problems with the dentist and eventually they discovered the dental hospital had looked at the wrong tooth and decided they would need to take that tooth out. A very heavily filled tooth had the filling fall out around Christmas and I have several times been back as the temp filling which was put in has fallen out. It was supposed to be suitable for a crown then. Then another filling fell out. I had some pain in a lower tooth which I thought was an absess and as I was due for an operation in a few days which would have meant I could not visit the dentist I went to get it checked - no absess was found. I did mention to her that I had pain round all my teeth but I have had that for 30 years. The dentist got a denture for the tooth she was going to take out but could not get it out because she could not get me pain free. She then decided she wanted a full teeth xray - she did say that she did not want me to have one denture and then to have to keep going back for more. I saw her today and she wants to take out at least half my teeth. When I asked why she said because they have 'poor prognosis' nothing more. I am wondering if she is taking them out because I have been going back and forth but that is mainly because she keeps putting in temp fillings which keep coming out rather than getting the work done. I don't know what to do/ Any ideas? I am 68 years old.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Please provide a panoramic x-ray. Try to find a dentist you trust and stick with him or her. Tell the dentist you want the least traumatic, most predictable and practical options.

Vote:
I don't have the xray. It is at the dentists. I am in the UK. My dentist sent it to someone she knows who she described as 'an expert on Conservation'.

Vote:

Ask a Question