Low Filling Question

I have not had a tooth filled for over 13 years until yesterday when I had two teeth filled. In the past the dentist always filled up the inside cavity of the tooth until the top of the cavity was almost flush with the surrounding tooth. Yesterday the dentist filled the two teeth but I noticed he left a a sizable valley on top of the filling. Is this something new? Does it have something to do with putting pressure on the sounding tooth? Was the dentist correct in doing this? Will food get stuck in the valley of the tooth? Thank you for your help.

As specialized in this filed, I would say that you should go to the dentist for checking the vitality status of the nerve - sometimes when you have a large cavity or filling, the tooth (nerve) may die over time and you will have a lot of discomfort when you chew - if this is the case, you need a root canal. If you are hitting the filling incorrectly, it will prolong the sensitivity. Also, your nerve may have been affected by the depth of the restoration. Finally, sometimes when a filling is very deep, it irritates the nerve of the tooth and if this does not go away over 2 weeks to a month it is probably time for a root canal. Next step is to go back to your dentist ASAP. Good Luck.

Vote:

Ask a Question