Loose post and core crown.

Five months ago I had a post and core crown fitted. After two weeks it fell out. I had the crown re-glued and four months later it has come loose again. This time the post is still firmly glued in but I believe that the glue between the old root and the new crown has deteriorated and come away and now the tooth wobbles. My dentist is reluctant to put pressure on the tooth to try remove the post and re-glue it in case he fractures the root so has not offered any treatment . Can anything be done to stop the tooth from wobbling?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Do you perhaps have any x-rays of the post that you could share? It is strange that it comes loose so often

Vote:
Unfortunately I don't have the x-rays. I have a feeling that it might be my dentist's first attempt as he told me he had sent pictures to his professor of the finished work. With this in mind maybe he used the wrong glue or didn't ensure everything was dry the first time. The tooth in question is number twelve and fractured leaving only the root. I assume that when it was glued into place a certain amount of glue was used between the base of the crown and the root as well as the post ( a sliver came out a couple of weeks before the tooth loosened ) and that it is this which has come loose creating a small gap. I don't know how it all works and just wondered if a dentist was able to unsolidify the glue to re-position the crown. As I said he hasn't offered to do this. Do I have to just put up with my wobbly crown?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You can use a ultrasonic scaler tip, that vibrates, in order to loosen the post. If your dentist is not experienced in this, ask him to refer you to someone, that might be able to assist in your area

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
When you say tooth 12, do you mean American numbering (UNS) or International numbering (FDI)?
If FDI 12, then those lateral incisors have a very poor chance of success with post and cores. I would normally advise patient to start saving for an implant.
I have done hundreds of posts, both direct and indirect.

Vote:
When you say tooth 12, do you mean American numbering (UNS) or International numbering (FDI)?
If FDI 12, then those lateral incisors have a very poor chance of success with post and cores. I would normally advise patient to start saving for an implant.
I have done hundreds of posts, both direct and indirect.
Sorry it gets a bit confusing with all the different ways of identifying teeth but it's the first premolar. Only the root was left after the tooth fractured and then deteriorated over time. I read elswhere that this was a prime candidate for a post and core. Unfortunately my dentist has indicated that he thinks it a minor miracle that he managed to perform the procedure and seems at a loss as to how the crown has loosened. In your opinion how strong should the crown be and could using floss and interdentals on it be the cause of it loosening?

Vote:

Ask a Question