Crown and post loosens with fracture.

Hope someone can offer some advice regarding my dental crown and post fitted into root canal.
It’s come loose yet again and I’ve been told the tooth is fractured below and I need an implant. SEE ATTACHED PIC
I’d like to avoid an implant and persevere with the crown and post.

How did it become fractured? I do not know for sure except to say it may have been fractured from the very start due to the whack in my mouth.20 years ago.

I’ve been warned of bacteria entering where the fracture is and it causing problems, but if the fracture happened 20 years ago over that period bacteria has not caused a problem yet so am ignoring the “be afraid of bacteria so you better get an implant” argument. Even so, the fracture is well below the gum line and it has not been explained to me how bacteria can be an issue other than the argument just , well, simply sounding right. After all, can’t bacteria enter down into where implants are installed anyway?

Dentists have cleaned out the canal before re-cementing on previous repairs. I guess this makes the canal that little bit worse-of-a-fit each time this happens. The last two times the crown and post have loosened after 8 and 4 months. Previously it lasted many years before coming loose. Even with the fracture , if the canal is the right fit and the right glue is used it should stay stuck. One dentist I asked couldn’t tell me how the fracture relates to the post coming out.

So, what to do? A dentist simply cleaning out the canal and re-cementing will most likely result in a loose crown again. Unless they use a different type of glue? Or,

I can recommend other techniques. Perhaps use a filler down the canal and re-drill a nice fitting hole to refit the post . Or drill out a slightly bigger hole and remake a new post for the crown that fits better.
Can anyone recommend another method to make the crown and post stay in? PIC ATTACHED.

Attachments

• IMG_20170721_140140.jpg
    IMG_20170721_140140.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 307
OP here again. Nobody around. Let you know I've made appointment to stick crown with Glass Ionomer cement this time to see how long she lasts. Hoping to get a couple of years out of it.

Vote:
Yes. Many clinics in pattaya. Thailand didnt have glass ionomer. Finally the bangkok-pattaya hospital dentistry department had it. Again the dentist wanted to do implant as the best option. About 2-3,000 us dollars for implant.
I was heading back to oz shortly so she got me to sign a waiver and went ahead with a permanent glass ionomer glue. She showed me the glue so I was confident. She wasn't confident it would last more than months. 1 and a half years later it is still super strong and feeling good too. Cost to glue wit xray 50 us dollars.
I'm very happy and recommend glass ionomer glueing of crowns and for fillings or other repair.
I've bought my own glue from eBay but haven't needed it yet.
Kind regards and thanks for your interest.

Vote:
I've not heard of this glue, but good to know. I wonder if they use it in the states.
A fractured tooth can cause problems [ I had one] seems bacteria can seep into fracture [ I rinsed constantly with peroxide] cause pain, and cannot be fixed [ so I was told] I like your suggestion of filling the canal [ maybe with this type glue?] Drilling a larger one might compromise the tooth, unless it's a large molar. At any rate, dentists here also like to push implants, and yes, they average 3k. Is it me, or has the cost of dental work sky-rocketed?
What made you think the type of glue you used on your tooth would work? Do you deal with this in other applications?
So your saying implant in your country is just as expensive? I would have thought cheaper for some reason.

regards

Vote:
I haven't got a quote in Australia. I can only imagine close to 6000 bucks US
Thailand has them starting from around 1400 US
I just was using reasoning to try and understand and understood that the common dentist cement worked on reliance of the stickiness of two close objects like how two glass panes close together will stick together, so i knew that a glue was needed that worked differently. Google threw up all the types and I felt glass ionomer fitted the bill best. They have fluoride protection built in too.
I was amazed that 5 smaller dentists in Thailand hadn't heard of it or couldn't help.
Id ike to try and glue Random objects with it and see how it compares to other glues.

Maybe one day I will need an implant due to decay or infection. Or maybe I'll get away with it for the next 40 years.

Vote:

Ask a Question