Is it possible to file a chipped tooth at home?

The thing is i dont have alot of money and i cant affort going to the dentist to having my tooth fixed. And it needs fixing after a bit of my front tooth was knocked off during a hockeygame. I hoped i could file a bit off on the other corner of the tooth to have it look more even, and ive tried with minor work tools but they dont seem to work on teeth and im afraid to use sharper tools as its only very little i want removed. Anyone have a tip or know of a tool that can take off a bit of the nonchipped corner of my tooth?

Regards
Kasper

Btw sorry for my bad english its not my native langauge >.<

I had the same thing ... but not from hockey. The jagged edge of the tooth was continuallly rubbing against my tongue. It wasn't particularly comfortable. I've had different dentists. One became ill ... started with another one and was not too pleased. Both suggested "filing it down". Finally, I went to a periodontist and a newly-graduated dentist who was working in the same office as the periodontist, suggested to build up/restore the tooth to its original. She also indicated that it is possible that if I habitually grind my teeth and any addition to the tooth could fall off. I would know this in two months' time.

I thought I would take the chance. So far everything has been o.k. It's been over a month and a half now. My tongue is no longer bothered by the tooth.

In your case, I think it may depend on how much of the tooth is remaining. In my situation, the "chip" was at the corner of one of my front lowers. My lower fronts were far from straight to begin with (i.e. they overlap).

It really did not cost me too much to get this fixed. The newly-graduated dentist charged me $125. But I find that her rates were much lower than the more experienced dentists in the office. If you can't find an inexpensive dentist, maybe try one of the dental schools.

Hope that this helps you somewhat.

Vote:

Ask a Question