Is expired carbamide peroxide dangerous?

I got my braces removed many years ago, 6 or 7 to be exact, and I was sent home with a take home whitening kit that used a carbamide peroxide gel, around 22% I believe. I was instructed to put a small amount in each depression of a retainer I have and use overnight, maybe 2 or 3 nights in a row. Well it worked fine, with some sensitivity of course, and i wanted to use it again. I realize that it expires after about 2 years at the max, but i went ahead and used it again as directed for 3 nights. The kit had 2 syringes, and one was still unused. I should have just used that, but instead finished off an old half empty one w/ no results. Heres my question.... Is there any danger of damaging my enamel with this expired product? This is not an easy answer I know but i would appreciate it... I used the unopened syringe and started seeing results around the edges and ridges of my molars, areas of pure white.... after only 3 hours so I think the unopened syringe may still have something left in it.... Of course I dont want to do permanent damage to my teeth because i am too lazy or cheap to buy a new whitening kit so, I took it out and came down to the computer for some answers. Just wondering if anyone knew the dangers, if any. Thank you.

I'm an orthodontist and I've heard of this dilemma a million times from patients. Carbamide Peroxide actually expires after 2 1/2 years. After the expiration date it is less effective. If the product is no longer good you will notice that it turns a milky white. It shouldn't damage the enamel (orange juice is much more acidic), however if you notice extreme tooth or gum sensitivity, discontinue use and purchase a new whitening kit.

Vote:

Ask a Question