I think he is a con

An oral surgeon puts 99% of all his patients to sleep so he can charge 6 or 7 hundred dollars for anesthesia. My dentist said he would just pull my tooth for $100 but the oral surgeon want to put me to sleep and charge me 6 or 7 hundred dollars for anesthesia. I have 1/3 of my teeth pulled and some by oral surgeon but not one dentist wanted to put me to sleep and I had some tough teeth to pull. I think this dentist should have his licence pulled. I told my dentist who is young and new and has a new business that if he doesn't want to lose patients not to send any more of his patients to him. So is this dentist a con man, am I living in an alternate universe, getting old and the law just doesn't care about people getting rip off, or is OKC just that way?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Depends upon a number of factors. I was trained in a surgical era, and happily taken out many wisdoms. However, many young patients now have no dental experience of needles, fillings, and so if they have 4 wisdoms to go, then I am more likely to send to OS for all simultaneously under GA. Also means they can deal with all suffering in one go, which might otherwise interfere with work or study commitments. I also use an OS who does LA, also has an IV setup, so he doesn't automatically give them all GA if he thinks they don't need it. Young dentists might also not be so willing to do oral surgery in these days of more litigation. This also affects my decision making - I work in a city, so have OS just around the corner, and it might be seen as silly if I take potentially unnecessary risks. In a country town with no OS, I'd do more surgery myself.

Vote:
The factor is pulling 1 (one) Tooth. If you have no training in needles then you have no business being a dentist in the first place. I'm not taking about 4 teeth, I'm talking about 1 (one). I'm not taking about young dentists might also not be so willing to do oral surgery, I'm talking about an oral surgeon. You have given to much information. I'm not sure if you understand my post.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Sorry if I gave you so much info that you were overwhelmed. I did have some difficulty understanding the exact point of your post, and the treatment being offered. If you have an itemised quote and xray to put up here it would prob make more sense.

Vote:
I've shorten my post because I might have given too much information. "An oral surgeon puts 99% of all his patients to sleep so he can charge 6 or 7 hundred dollars for anesthesia."

Vote:

Ask a Question