Hello fellow dental enthusiasts

hello I have been a dental assistant for the last 11 years and have loved most every minute of it..and those I didn't had everything to do with the people and not the profession..lol I don't care for social media for the most part which is why I sought out a place with other dental professionals to chat with..Anyhow. for a long time ive wanted to earn my expanded functions cerification and have only recently been able to start the process.. I have successfully completed the "training course" and have only the competency portion to complete. Which under normal circumstances wouldn't be a problem..exvept that I happen to work in a state funded pediatric office.. so therefore permanent crown preps and periodontal dressing is unheard of. One of my instructors of my EFDA course suggested youtubeiing ways to simulate these skills. which I thought was a genius idea until I actually tried it... and nowhere have I been able to find on youtube or otherwise any ways to practice or simulate a crown prepped tooth, or a way to practice packing gingival retraction cord or taking final impressions(especially when we don't have the vps material in office)or temporary crown making...I am beyond frustrated and am hoping one of you may have suggestions on how I may do this. ive even searched the internet looking for a typodon to buy that has a tooth prepped for a crown and has gingiva that I can practice packing cord into and I cannot seem to locate one...I am willing to purchase materials to complete these tasks but must be within reason..PLEASE HELP!!!

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Are you within driving distance to the nearest dental school(s). You may try dental school's social media for any unwanted/unused items. You may have to temp at an office that does a lot of crowns. You may have to switch jobs to advance in your career.

Are you within driving distance to the nearest dental school(s). You may try dental school's social media for any unwanted/unused items. You may have to temp at an office that does a lot of crowns. You may have to switch jobs to advance in your career.
Its a couple hou
Are you within driving distance to the nearest dental school(s). You may try dental school's social media for any unwanted/unused items. You may have to temp at an office that does
The nearest college is a couple of hours away..i hadnt thought of asking one..u dont know of anywhere online where i can just purchase one? Do u know of a way i could simulate gingiva so practice cord packing??
Believe me...i know..honestly i have been a rda for 11 years and have never liked corporate dentistry but i didnt have much choice at the time..i would love nothing more thsn to be back in privste practice where its not a rareity for an assistant to want to and actually do sit down and take the time to educate patients especially children about oral hygiene and caries prevention..noone at my office does that and looks at me like i have 2 heads when i do(mainly because this takes time as you know and they would rather have the next patient in the chair that they can frown at for having cavities than take the tims to teach them how to NOT get new ones.
Sorry for my little rant.
Any help you can provide is much appreciated.
Thank you

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Where I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, we are desperately short on Dental Assistants. You can have your pick of where you want to work for ~$30/hr.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Do u also help with relocation expenses? Lol
Unfortunately, you wouldn't want to work with me. Like you, I work at a corporate setting funded mostly by the state. Since I have 22 years experience, I'm familiar with corporate BS and tight schedules while making it work for me. In fact, I do better than many private dentists in my area (we are over-saturated). The biggest BS I have to deal with and I dealing with it better than my colleagues is that we recently switched to a new records software which makes our computers super slow...imagine writing charts about 10 times slower because everything is not responding or is crashing and you have to start over. My 2 DAs and I make the best team...we still finish in time when patients shows up 2 hours late (we can't turn away Emergency cases).

Ask a Question