Food trapped under temporary filling? bad smell

Hi everyone,
Please see the attached file. I had a crack in my seventh bottom tooth, the piece of tooth to the left of the crack (as per image) came out a couple of weeks ago when I was picking it. This tooth is also a dead tooth, as root canal was done on it in 2015. After the piece of tooth came out, I started noticing bad smell coming from the tooth, I went to the dentist and he said it's the food getting stuck there, although he didn't say specifically where it was stuck. He cleaned it, maybe used some kind of vacuum to extract the remains of food (I am not too sure) and placed a temporary filling in place of the piece of tooth. Then for about a week I was chewing with the left side only and there was no smell, but after that I started to chew in a more regular manner and a couple of days ago I noticed that horrible smell again, it's from this tooth, 100%. I went to the dentist asking him to redo the temporary filling, but he said there is no need for that and said the food gets trapped between teeth. Today I bought a flosser and mouth wash and used both properly, but the bad smell is still there. Could it be that some particles of food are now trapped under the filling and no matter how much I rinse it just won't come out? I would appreciate any help with this. It's really bothering me.

Attachments

• 20220222_110842.jpg
    20220222_110842.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 4
Are you planning to get a crown there? The tooth is prone for catastrophic fracture.
I am, yes. I have been told by two different dentists that the wisdom tooth will need to be removed first. In terms of my question, my cousin who is a dentist said it could be a periodontal pocket, but not 100%. Could that be the case? As a second option, just before the piece of tooth came out when I was picking it, a tiny piece of bone from minced meet got into one of the gaps between teeth, most likely between the 7th and 8th, that is why a started picking that tooth in the first place. When that piece of tooth came out, I was in a slight shock, I don't actually remember if I managed to get the bone out, I may have forgotten, and maybe it went all the way down in that gap between the 7th and 8th. I suppose if I got an x ray done it would be seen on the image?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Looking at your previous x-ray, I don't think you have a periodontal pocket deeper than 5 mm. Try to get the wisdom teeth removed as soon as possible, allow the area to heal and get a crown very soon.

Vote:

Ask a Question