Fibers from gauze remain in extraction site a week after extraction??

Leo

Hello, posting for the first time here as I am a little worried and don't currently have the money for another visit to the dentist.
Just over a week ago I had a tooth extracted (1st molar on the top left of my mouth) After about 35 minutes with the gauze that the dentist had given me (he told me to keep it in for about half an hour) I felt I needed another to help form the blood clot. The local chemist gave me cotton pads and told me to roll one up and it should be fine.
So a week passes and I have been rinsing with salt water and haven't once touched the extraction site with my tongue as i've been extremely worried about knocking the clot and getting a dry socket. yesterday i touched the site with my tongue and it felt rough and I had assumed it was a scab until I swilled my mouth out and a ball of browny red fell out into the sink. This ball was made up of little fibers from the cotton pad and touching the site with my tongue I can still feel more of these fibers but are'nt able to nudge them loose. I've carefully pulled as muh out as I could with tweasers but some still remains.
My question is will my body push it out or will my gum heal over with the fibers inside?
Should I still be worried about a dry socket after a week?
Also could there be any side effects to having this sat in my gum for a whole week?
I can't find anyone who's had a similar situation online really so I appreciate anyone who takes their time to read my post and offer advise. Thanks

Ask a Question