Extraction before implant base on tooth #1

Hi... I had a bum tooth #2 and decided to have it pulled and have a bone graft and implant put in place.

Tooth #1 is also bad but doesn't have a chewing partner on the bottom so it should come out too.

My question is... in Oct I had #2 pulled and bone graft put in and the base is scheduled to go in Jan...

Is it a concern to have #1 pulled shortly after #2 base goes in? Might it disturb the new implant?

Would it be better to have #1 pulled prior to the #2 base going in?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

There are a lot of factors to consider, but I suggest you speak to your treating surgeon, who will advise you of when it will be the best time to perform the extraction. Although an atraumatic extraction could be fine, the graft could be damaged, especially if the healing process is a bit compromised. Remember, every single tooth, as well as the extraction of that tooth, is different.

Vote:
Good day

There are a lot of factors to consider, but I suggest you speak to your treating surgeon, who will advise you of when it will be the best time to perform the extraction. Although an atraumatic extraction could be fine, the graft could be damaged, especially if the healing process is a bit compromised. Remember, every single tooth, as well as the extraction of that tooth, is different.

I will ask when I go back in Jan... but the dentist doing the implant is not the same place as whomever will remove #1 - because I asked them to remove #1 AND #2 while they were removing #2 and I was told they wouldn't remove a wisdom tooth - I have to go to an oral surgeon.

I think what I'm getting from you is that maybe I should wait until the new implant has been placed for awhile to make sure there isn't any issue when #1 is removed?

Vote:
Thank you :) the tooth does not hurt so I guess I'll wait for the implant base to be placed and then wait another year of so before having #1 extracted just to make sure it doesn't disturb the new #2 implant.

Vote:

Ask a Question