Dental question?

Can sodium hypochlorite block the airway if swallowed? I was having a root canal done a few days ago and I ended up swallowing the rinse they use which is the sodium hypochlorite and as soon as I did, it burned my throat and blocked my airway and I couldn't breathe. Is there something else that the dentist can use on me so that this doesn't happen again?

Sodium Hypochlorite is a mixture of bleach and water. That's why it burned when you swallowed it. Most dentists use what's called a rubber dam when doing root canal therapy. In fact, in some areas it is required that dentists use it. A rubber dam isolates the tooth or teeth that are being worked on and prevents anything from getting into the mouth. These can be used for most restorative dental procedures.

Vote:
Sodium Hypochlorite is a mixture of bleach and water. That's why it burned when you swallowed it. Most dentists use what's called a rubber dam when doing root canal therapy. In fact, in some areas it is required that dentists use it. A rubber dam isolates the tooth or teeth that are being worked on and prevents anything from getting into the mouth. These can be used for most restorative dental procedures.[/QUOTE
Can sodium hypochlorite block the airway if swallowed? I was having a root canal done a few days ago and I ended up swallowing the rinse they use which is the sodium hypochlorite and as soon as I did, it burned my throat and blocked my airway and I couldn't breathe. Is there something else that the dentist can use on me so that this doesn't happen again?
Today they used a rubber dam to finish doing the root canal but I did still feel that bleach mixture on the back of my tongue and roof of my mouth and it burned so bad that I had to have them rinse my mouth to stop it from burning. the back of my mouth feels raw tonight. Can that mixture of water and bleach block the air-way when making contact? or is it just that my throat is very sensitive?

Vote:
Today they used a rubber dam to finish doing the root canal but I did still feel that bleach mixture on the back of my tongue and roof of my mouth and it burned so bad that I had to have them rinse my mouth to stop it from burning. the back of my mouth feels raw tonight. Can that mixture of water and bleach block the air-way when making contact? or is it just that my throat is very sensitive?

Vote:
You are not sensitive. The warning label on bleach says, "Danger. Corrosive. Do not drink or eat directly. Call a poison control center or doctor immediately for treatment advice." Fortunately during a root canal the bleach is diluted with a large amount of water, but it is unusual that you were still exposed to the solution while wearing a rubber dam. If you are still experiencing symptoms be sure to seek medical attention.

Vote:
Would a dentist want to stop and find out what just happened if the patient couldn't breathe because he or she swallowed sodium hypochlorite and there throat was burning real bad and the patient is saying over and over "I Can't breath"? The dentist I had just wanted to finish doing the root canal and figured I must have swallowed down the wrong pipe. After having this happen to me I told the dentist that I wanted to stop and come back another day to finish the root canal and when I came in that next time, my dentist said to me that she didn't think what I experienced was bad as I made it out to be and that I must have swallowed water and it went down the wrong pipe. Most people that have a fear of going to the dentist have a fear of the drilling and needles and how much pain they are going to be in but I never seen it coming that I would be more fearful of what I might end up swallowing in fear of not being able to breathe. I think that what bothers me the most about what happened to me is that the dentist only cared about getting her work done. I will never go in blind again to have a root canal and I will never have that dentist do one on me again but what's going to be hard to overcome is when I have anything done to my teeth including cleaning regardless of who's doing it is when I feel anything liquid running in my mouth,I'm going to get scared of swallowing. Whatever they call it I had a bad reaction to sodium hypochlorite and you would think that no matter what it is, if it stops you from breathing, stay away from being in contact with it if you plan on wanting to stay alive.

Vote:
It sounds like your dentist isn't very considerate. I'm sorry that you had such a traumatic experience. Patient comfort should be the number one consideration. Fortunately sodium hypochlorite is only used during root canals, so you shouldn't encounter it during any other dental procedure.

Vote:
It sounds like your dentist isn't very considerate. I'm sorry that you had such a traumatic experience. Patient comfort should be the number one consideration. Fortunately sodium hypochlorite is only used during root canals, so you shouldn't encounter it during any other dental procedure.
Thank you for the advice,you are a kind person...........

Vote:
Can a dentist use something other than sodium hypochlorite when doing a root canal? After having my bad experience with sodium hypochlorite I will not come near that stuff again.. When something stops you from being able to breath, it gets your attention real fast and you don't forget it...

Vote:
No. After many years in dentistry I would have to say that I've never heard of a root canal being done without sodium hypochlorite. It is pretty standard. Your experience was very unusual. During a normal root canal, the sodium hypochlorite is rinsed into the tooth and suctioned out at the same time. It should not come in contact with the inside of your mouth or your throat at all. Hopefully you will never need another one, but if you do you might try going to a different dentist.

Vote:
Consent forms are routine in dentistry because there are so many lawsuits. Many offices have their patients sign a general consent form during their first visit that covers all procedures. It is also customary to sign a consent form before surgical procedures acknowledging any possible complications. Being asked to sign a consent form before treatment is not in itself a red flag.

Vote:
Consent forms are routine in dentistry because there are so many lawsuits. Many offices have their patients sign a general consent form during their first visit that covers all procedures. It is also customary to sign a consent form before surgical procedures acknowledging any possible complications. Being asked to sign a consent form before treatment is not in itself a red flag.
The reason why I ask is because they have you sign a form every time a root canal is done. Thanks

Vote:
I have a question? When you have teeth worked on from root canals to fillings, Is it normal to have your teeth feel like sandpaper when all is said and done? Does this rough feeling on the teeth go away or should the dentist have polished the surface of each tooth worked on?

Vote:
When your root canal therapy has been completed, Dr. Soordhar will decide on what type of restoration is necessary to protect your tooth. It is rare for endodontic patients to experience complications after routine endodontic treatment. If a problem does occur, however, we are available at all times to respond. To prevent further decay, continue to practice good dental hygiene.

Vote:
When your root canal therapy has been completed, Dr. Soordhar will decide on what type of restoration is necessary to protect your tooth. It is rare for endodontic patients to experience complications after routine endodontic treatment. If a problem does occur, however, we are available at all times to respond. To prevent further decay, continue to practice good dental hygiene.
This does not answer my question

Vote:

Ask a Question