Dental Implant Questions

Solutions
Hello. My dad had all his upper teeth extracted a few months ago and is now in the process of getting implants. So far he has had 5 put in and is waiting for one more which will be put in on Nov 17. I am feeling very nervous because he has been losing a lot of weight. When he first had all his teeth removed they gave him temporary dentures and he started getting used to eating with them, but once they started adding the implants his periodontist said he needs to keep the dentures out all the time so the implant sites can heal properly. When he had the dentures there was only so much he could eat but now he has even less options. I just wanted to know if this was normal during this process? He has been drinking protein shakes as well to try and keep his weight up, although he hates them because they taste mediciney. Once he gets all his implants and the crowns are added, will he be able to eat normally again? I appreciate all your feedback. Thank you.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

I am sorry to hear about your situation. In some cases the temporary denture could have been relined or adjusted to accommodate the implants as they heal, but if this was the advice of the periodontist, I would follow it.
Once the crowns are all fitted, he should be able to eat normally again, more so than when he had the temporary dentures which were loose and movable.
If you are really worried about the weight loss, you could consider seeing a dietician, which might give more valuable advice on what softer foods to eat-especially if the final crowns are still a long way off from being placed .

Vote:
Solutions
Good day

I am sorry to hear about your situation. In some cases the temporary denture could have been relined or adjusted to accommodate the implants as they heal, but if this was the advice of the periodontist, I would follow it.
Once the crowns are all fitted, he should be able to eat normally again, more so than when he had the temporary dentures which were loose and movable.
If you are really worried about the weight loss, you could consider seeing a dietician, which might give more valuable advice on what softer foods to eat-especially if the final crowns are still a long way off from being placed .

Thank you for your quick response and advice, Dr M. He didn't like wearing the dentures anyway because they would always fall off.

Vote:

Ask a Question