Crowns repeatedly keep cracking

Hello!

My spouse recently received a few crowns for the top front teeth after a root canal was done for one of them. At first, everything appeared to be going well, but then I noticed that one of the teeth had developed a thin crack (difficult to notice visually, and it wasn't actually bothersome, apparently).

After bringing it to the attention of our dentist, he replaced the crown. Unfortunately, this occurred again on another crown - which he replaced. And now, it's occurred a third time...

Our dentist was very surprised, and said that this had never happened before (he mentioned that my spouse didn't have any bite problems, so it couldn't have been that). He said that he had been using a new lab that a colleague had recommended, and perhaps that was the problem (lab was not fabricating it properly?). He suggested replacing the crowns with new crowns from another lab that he has used many times before. He also suggested that he may have made the crowns too thin, and to avoid that he would like to shave away a bit more of the tooth to keep the crown thick enough (he also said that another option was to make the crown thicker without shaving the tooth, but didn't recommend doing so).

Does this seem like a reasonable theory? Is it OK to shave more of the tooth, or will that weaken it, etc? And should we move forward with the suggested solution, or try to find a second opinion?

Ask a Question