Cracked tooth and crown question

I had my root canal on an upper second molar (tooth 26 maybe?) this morning. It was done over 2 appointments roughly 2 weeks apart. The tooth previously had a large and deep silver filling that was quite old. A crack was detected when they initially removed the filling to do the root canal. Initially I went to the dentist with intermittent pain and tooth sensitively and it was discovered the tooth was dying. Root canal went well I think. I will be following up with a crown. My question is how long can I expect the tooth to last with the crown. My dentist said I may not get as long as they would like from a restoration because of the crack. Thanks.

I'm a nonsmoker, very occasional drinker. Since I first had the pain I've been trying as much as possible to chew on the other side of my mouth which I plan on continuing if the food is hard or crunchy.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

The answer to this question depends on a lot of factors. How deep was the crack? How does the finished root canal look?
Depending on if the root canal is 100 and if the crack did not penetrate the pulpal floor or root of a tooth, crowning the tooth might protect it in the long run and then it can last you quite a few years still

Vote:
They did an xray at the end of it yesterday and said it looked good. I know it feels great the next day. Having a little tenderness but not even enough for an advil. The dentist said it wasn't to the root (I don't know what the pulpal floor is and it wasn't mentioned). They will be keeping an eye on the tooth. Thank you for the answer.

Vote:

Ask a Question