Anaesthetic not working

Hello,
This is my first post here and I am hoping for some advice.

In early Feb I went to the dentist for a deep filling in a lower molar, which turned out to be a very painful process as part of the nerve didn't seem to numb properly. A week after I was in increasing pain so I went back and the dentist went in through the top of the tooth to apply a dressing and said it would need a root canal. This time the anaesthetic seemed to work well (he used a block at the rear of my jaw) and I was numb all the way up to my eye for 4-5 hours later).

Then last week I went back for the root canal - once again the anaesthetic (6.6ml of 2% lidocaine with 1:80000 adrenaline, initially as a block but also inserted directly into the tooth pulp which did absolutely nothing) didn't work effectively on one of the roots. It was extremely painful. The dentist stopped trying to clear out that root and again inserted a dressing. I am supposed to be going back in a week's time for him to try again but as the tooth is still irritated it may end up being delayed further.

Firstly I would like to understand, is there any alternative anaesthetic that is likely to work better? They are blaming it on the nerve being irritated, but the anaesthetic actually seemed to work better the time I was in most pain prior to the appointment, and wouldn't root canals always irritate the nerve? When the anaesthetic worked effectively it felt a lot stronger across my whole face and lasted far longer, whereas when it hasn't worked I have still been able to feel tingly in my lip in that side and it wore off quite quickly, but apparently they used the same anaesthetic, quantity and application method.

Secondly, is there anything I can do at home to help the nerve settle down before the appointment? Or is there anything I might be doing that could be prolonging the irritation? I did ask the dentist but didn't get a straight answer. I can manage with pain relief, but just want to do what I can to give the next attempt the best chance of success.

Thirdly, if I end up having the tooth extracted (which is the dentists fall back plan), is that not likely to be just as painful if the anaesthetic doesn't work?

Thank you for your help. I am feeling quite terrified about going back so trying to make sure I am as informed about the options as possible.

Last edited:

Ask a Question