Sudden bad breath problem

Hi,

I'm 18, just recently developed a bad breath issue. Never had a problem with this until a month ago. Right after it started I went to my dentist for a normal 6 month cleaning, told the hygenist and dentist about it. They took a full set of xrays, did a cleaning and exam, they said they found nothing wrong, minimal plaque and tartar buildup, no cavities, no infections, no gum disease, gingivitis or anything, xrays were good. The dentist gave me a couple of new toothbrushes, told me to use 'colgate total' toothpaste because it has an antibacterial action, said to throughly brush and floss twice a day and also to throughly brush my tongue and add some paste to the brush before i do it. He also gave me a couple of bottles of therasol mouthwash and told me to use that twice a day when done brushing and flossing, rinse for 30 seconds and gargle for 30 seconds with it. I have seen no improvements in the bad breath problem, since i started this new routine a month ago. I even tried adding a cap full of hyrdogen peroxide to the therasol before i use it for the last week, still no improvement.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Hi,

I'm 18, just recently developed a bad breath issue. Never had a problem with this until a month ago. Right after it started I went to my dentist for a normal 6 month cleaning, told the hygenist and dentist about it. They took a full set of xrays, did a cleaning and exam, they said they found nothing wrong, minimal plaque and tartar buildup, no cavities, no infections, no gum disease, gingivitis or anything, xrays were good. The dentist gave me a couple of new toothbrushes, told me to use 'colgate total' toothpaste because it has an antibacterial action, said to throughly brush and floss twice a day and also to throughly brush my tongue and add some paste to the brush before i do it. He also gave me a couple of bottles of therasol mouthwash and told me to use that twice a day when done brushing and flossing, rinse for 30 seconds and gargle for 30 seconds with it. I have seen no improvements in the bad breath problem, since i started this new routine a month ago. I even tried adding a cap full of hyrdogen peroxide to the therasol before i use it for the last week, still no improvement.

Any ideas what may be causing this?
Hi Brett,
Sorry to hear about your condition. I have the same problem and it was my diet. You can read up on dental blogs to find different things. I realized it was my diet this way!!! even after many dental visits and paying out for the best mouth washes. A good one that come to mind was one i looked at recently on a site called TourMedical. They had a lot of tips!!!

Vote:
The key to fixing the problem of bad breath is to locate its source. The most common source is the mouth itself: it’s the location of the smell-producing bacteria about 85% of the time. Since the mouth is regularly filled of food, the bacteria in there can get an all-you-can eat buffet under the right conditions. ..

Vote:
Well i too agree with the above suggestion as you need to find out the source of bad breath issue, it is due to our eating habit which mostly leaves a bad essence. That is why it is better to brush your teeth after the meal, also do use mouthwashes after brushing.

Vote:
Are you taking any new medications? Many medications can cause your mouth to be dry. Bacteria flourishes in a dry mouth. If you've ruled out other causes you may try one of the many over the counter products for dry mouth (xerostomia)

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:
Alcohol-based mouthwashes like Listerine and Scope can often cause bad breath. A dirty tongue too -- do you brush your tongue? Your gums may need irrigating too.

Vote:
Bad Breath is often caused by a buildup of bacteria in the mouth that causes inflammation and gives off noxious odors that smell like worse.Everybody has nasty breath at some point, like when you get out of bed in the morning.You must schedule an appointment to Dentist in every three months to get out of this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:

Ask a Question