Pain in broken molar after root canal treatment

Hi, I have a broken molar that got a root canal treatment last year. Unfortunately, it has to be extracted because it’s broken down the gumline. I went to dentist A last week and he said it’s okay to wait with extraction for a while because it’s not urgent. He also looked at the gum around the molar and said it still looks good. I went to dentist C (same practice) and dentist W (another practice, for second opinion) in February and both didn’t said it was urgent and that the tooth should be extracted asap but that it has to be extracted eventually. I mentioned to C that I suffer from dental phobia and he said I’m lucky the pain isn’t severe and I should do some therapy first before taking the steps. When I asked him if I should be worried if other parts of my jaw can get infected because of the molar he said no. I do feel pain sometimes but it’s not affecting my daily life like going to work etc. I’m I having pain because the molar is broken? I mean the nerves have been removed during the root canal treatment so I think it’s only caused by the fracture? In general I have a good oral hygiene. I always floss, brush both my teeth and tongue and occasionally use a Waterpik. I have also started rinsing my mouth with warm water and salt. Should I be worried or I’m overthinking right now? Because I’m anxious about it and need some time to so I can go to therapy to work on my fear. Some advice is very welcome!

Last edited:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Difficult to give an opinion without an x-ray or clear photo of the tooth. It is important to remember however, that a cracked tooth could lead to contamination of the root canal system, which could then result in infection in the tooth. If the tooth fractured and some pieces are mobile, it could also exert pressure on the adjacent gum, causing pain. If there is pain, my opinion would be to extract the tooth.

Vote:

Ask a Question