Dilemma: Root canal & cap OR extraction, then implant: Any tips???

I am a healthy, active 70 year old who is pleased with my Invisalign results from 3 years ago. Have been plagued with lots of root canals since then and now one implant (for #5 right side ) is under way on for this Dec. (First & only one): no problem there.

My #13 tooth ( left side) recently broke, and a tooth stump remains. My prosthodontist (who is also my regular dentist) discovered it is necrotic. He urges me to get a root canal and he can cap it.
My fear is I will have all that #13 work done and be faced with a root canal/cap failure and still need a stump extraction and and an implant.

The teeth in the front and back on that left side are all root canal casualties. I am conflicted about the best choice to make. Any suggestions? Of course he gets the cap work either way. But will that meant two different caps? How long do root canal teeth last in geriatric, healthy gums? Thanks for any feedback.
Is it wiser to keep the roots of those teeth in the gums or will an implant spare me of risking a failed root canal. I have never had a root canal failure but there is always a first time.
Thank you.
Soccer Mama Jill

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Generally, you should try to slow down the progression of tooth damage. If it's salvageable with RCT and crown, then do that. Remember that implants also have failure rates, but they are the last option before dentures.

Vote:

Ask a Question