Ulcerative colitis and dental pain

Hello, I posted this in endodontics since the pinpoint of my question comes from a root canal retreatment.

I've been dealing with A LOT of dental complications over the last few years... failing fillings and root canal treatments, infections, extractions. Some of this is due to poor quality dental work in the past. I'm learning that my ulcerative colitis likely complicates my dental issues. My dentist, endontist, and oral surgeon understand this, but are sometimes stumped about what my teeth are doing.

In particular, tooth #19 has suffered a failed root canal treatment and complicated series of retreatments that on examination all look great, but I'm experiencing pain months after it's completion. It is not constant and not debilitating, but best described as a pressure that visits almost every day. My providers are stumped as to why this is happening. The only thing I can conclude is the systemic inflammation of the ulcerative colitis is agitating the tooth for whatever reason.

Sometimes I wonder if it's just phantom pain (I went through some severe trauma with that tooth getting it retreated). But phantom pain shouldn't last for months right??

At this point I'm prepared to have the tooth extracted. While the pain is not debilitating, I can't live like this forever and don't know what else to do.

If anyone has experience, thoughts, ideas, anything regarding ulcerative colitis and this kind of dental work - I'd love to hear. It's been a long, hard road and because of my condition I can't even take NSAIDs to help with pain management. It gets very tricky indeed.

Even though X-rays look good, there could be microscopic issues like hidden canals, microfractures, or inflamed tissue around the root tip that aren't visible on standard X-rays. As you suspect, chronic inflammation from ulcerative colitis can affect how your body heals and responds to dental procedures.

A cone beam CT scan can provide a more detailed 3D image of the tooth and surrounding bone, potentially revealing issues missed by regular X-rays. Consider seeking a consultation with a dentist specializing in complex cases or one who has experience managing dental issues in patients with ulcerative colitis.

Vote:
Even though X-rays look good, there could be microscopic issues like hidden canals, microfractures, or inflamed tissue around the root tip that aren't visible on standard X-rays. As you suspect, chronic inflammation from ulcerative colitis can affect how your body heals and responds to dental procedures.

A cone beam CT scan can provide a more detailed 3D image of the tooth and surrounding bone, potentially revealing issues missed by regular X-rays. Consider seeking a consultation with a dentist specializing in complex cases or one who has experience managing dental issues in patients with ulcerative colitis.
Thank you!

Vote:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DutyArnol

Latest Threads