Second opinion on X-ray needed

Hi there!

I had a dentist app yesterday about getting aligners, and they took an X-ray of my teeth. My dentist said he would need to refer me to an ortho which would take some time, but he was worried about letting me go ahead with aligners due to my roots in the bottom front of my mouth. He wanted a second opinion. I’ve had braces in the past which has probably worsened matters. I really want to straighten my front teeth, but also don’t want to loose them! Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Flo

- X-ray here

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Analysing lengths from an OPG alone can be misleading if your jaw is not positioned correctly in the focal trough of the machine. For example, although your lower incisors appear unusually short, your upper incisors appear unusually long. Periapical Xrays would resolve this more accurately.
On a side note, your lower wisdom teeth appear only partially erupted - why are you hanging onto them?

Vote:
Analysing lengths from an OPG alone can be misleading if your jaw is not positioned correctly in the focal trough of the machine. For example, although your lower incisors appear unusually short, your upper incisors appear unusually long. Periapical Xrays would resolve this more accurately.
On a side note, your lower wisdom teeth appear only partially erupted - why are you hanging onto them?
Thanks for the response! Ah, I see. I’ll need to see if that’s an option then, hopefully it will be.

Re the wisdom teeth, I live in the UK, so the NHS will only really remove them if they become a problem (which they’re not, yet). More concerned about fixing my wonky bottom front teeth!

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Ah, good old NHS still sticking to NICE Guidelines from 2000 and haven't reviewed them despite deadlines and contrary evidence. You can always think about getting them removed privately.

Vote:

Ask a Question